CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Tooted My First Horn

I remember when I played my first note, ahh concert F. If you haven't figured it out yet, I love playing my instrument. Oh, but not just any instrument, a very unusual instrument for my figure. Although I am the best damn one there is, I'm very petite and I play the trombone!!
When I was in 5th grade (the good ol' days when it was just music class, not my love for sliding movements) I almost ended up playing a finger instrument, the flute. I was going to be a flotist. When I was joking around with our band director and my clarinetist (mother) we had to pick out an instrument of our liking. I said "Trombone looks fun it's almost as big as me!" WHEN HE ACTUALLY PUT ME DOWN FOR IT!! So my mother and I went shopping for the flute when in the end we weren't even going to use it.

Next year comes along and our band director brings out this tall, long, movable, sliding thing and hands it to me...... I said "What is this thing?" in my lovable sarcastic voice. He answers as if he doesn't know "Your trombone you wanted." I called him out and said "No I wanted flute YOU wanted trombone." And lucky me I got the pushy director and he said "But you have the perfect teeth for it, you have the lungs and your arms will get longer" :(. I wish they were long enough to reach across that room. I became first chair trombone fast!

I still am first chair and it'll stay that way!! So to end on a good note here are some trombone facts that you should know:

1. One familiar name to most trombone players for the instrument is the English Sackbut.

2. There are various trombones like Alto trombone in Eb, small-bore Tenor trombone in Bb, large-bore Tenor trombone in Bb with F trigger attachment, Bass trombone in Bb with F and G trigger attachments.

3. The current German term for the instrument, Posaune.

Peace To Ya Motha From The Trombona; telling you: to keep sliding it out!!

~$*Trombona*$~

1 comment:

Campbell's House said...

Good stuff! Keep tootin your own horn =)